Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sorry I didn't get a chance to write yesterday. Things were pretty hectic. Katlyn has been fussy for the past few days over her teeth. Last night when I was ready to put her to bed she was fussing about a tooth, so I took a look. The gum was really inflamed and a blueish colour, so I got the resident to take a look in her mouth and she wasn't really sure if it was infected or not. I have never seen one of Katlyn's teeth do this to her gums before. So the resident got on the phone with Dr. Issekutz to discuss Katlyn's tooth. Dr. Issekutz felt it was practical to start Katlyn on antibiotics, just to be on the safe side. I'm with him there. So she didn't get to go to bed until late because we had to wait for the antibiotics.

Tomorrow Katlyn has to get blood work done and I must say I'm a little worried about her neutrophils. There hasn't been any actual signs in my eyes as to why I should be worried. It's just because she started the antibiotics that I'm a little nervous. I just hope it doesn't compromise anything. She just hasn't been on antibiotics for awhile and I just hate changing anything because I'm so scared a change will affect her neutrophils. It's probably because we have been so disappointed in the past that I'm feeling this way.

I just hope that this time we actually get moving and get some treatment for Katlyn. I just want her to be okay. I really have a good feeling that this time we will be moving along, but I can't help but think what if? I got to stop doing that. If you don't have hope, then what do you have anyway? Nothing!!!!

Other than the tooth incident the girl is doing real good. I swear it's almost like having a little parrot in the room with me all the time. She is getting more and more vocal all the time. Copying everything I say. I LOVE IT.

I just wanted to express how I feel about a certain subject. A lot of people probably think that being in the hospital day in and day out sucks. Well you know being here is not where I want us to be most of all, but I am so grateful we are. I sometimes think about what would have happened if we didn't make it here when we did. I can remember that day like it was yesterday. Katlyn wasn't her usual self that day. I though it could be her teeth come in because she had one already and another on its way. I gave her some Tylenol because she had a fever. The fever went down but she was borderline fever all day long. She wasn't the usual playful Katlyn. She just basically layed there.

John came home from work and I let him know what was going on. The fever came back in about 4 hours from when I gave her the Tylenol, so off we went to the hospital for the umpteenth million time. When we got there we entered a whole new world. I can remember Katlyn panting for air, her check sucking in and her nostrils flaring in and out. It was the scariest thing I have ever encountered in my whole life. They took us seriously and took care of her.

Thank GOD!!!!

What would have happened if we got there earlier, or later. I hate to think about it, but when I do it makes me realize just how fortunate we are. We have Katlyn. She could have been taken away from us on several occasions but for some reason she wasn't. And for that reason I believe Katlyn is still with us and doing well. And for that reason Katlyn will continue to do well and get better and make it through this. And for that reason we'll be able to look back on this and say "we're so lucky to have Katlyn." And for that reason we'll probably never take the huge things in life and minimize them like they are something that isn't important at all, like a kiss, a breath of fresh air, Katlyn smile or when she asks "what's that?" All of those thing are miracles and so much more.

I got this in an e-mail and thought I'd share it with the world because it relates to what I'm talking about.

To realize the value of a sister/brother: Ask someone who doesn't have one.
To realize the value of ten years: Ask a newly divorced couple.
To realize the value of four years: Ask a graduate.
To realize the value of one year: Ask a student who has failed a final exam.
To realize the value of nine months: Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
To realize the value of one month: Ask a mother who has given birth to a premature baby.
To realize the value of one week: Ask an editor of a weekly newspaper.
To realize the value of one minute: Ask a person who has missed the train, bus or plane.
To realize the value of one-second: Ask a person who has survived an accident.

Time waits for no one. Treasure every moment you have. You will treasure it even more when you can share it with someone special. To realize the value of a friend or family member: LOSE ONE.

The origin of this is unknown, but I just that it so fit in with what I'm talking about.

Most people don't realize what the have until it's gone. Don't be one of those people. Just take everything in and be so grateful. You can never tell someone that you love them too many times. Life is so precious and anyone or anything can be taken away from you in an instant.

Thank You