Friday, November 16, 2007

I know that it has been awhile since I have updated Katlyn's blog but well a lot just hasn't been happening. I was hoping that when I updated Katlyn's blog I would be able to come here and let everyone know that we were finally going to be getting Katlyn out of the hospital. Unfortunately that is not the case yet.
We are still in the hospital because right now this is the safest place for Katlyn. Ideally we would like to live in with my mother for some extra help in all areas. Basically we need to start over from scratch. The problem is my mother's home is not safe for Katlyn. Her home is equipped with a forced air oil furnace, which means that all kinds of bad stuff would get blown through the rooms and possibly make Katlyn sick. It looks like we will need to have baseboard electric heating installed, the carpets removed and some kind of HEPA filtration in place before we move in. We have no idea what a project like this would cost, but frankly we don't have much at all. We have been going at this for a very long time and it has been incredibly financially straining and neither of us are working. Fifteen months is a long time, and we would like to keep adding to the time we have to spend here.
I wish we would be home for Christmas. Katlyn had to spend her first Christmas here and it was very hard. I would love for Katlyn to be able to wake up in her own home and be super surprised and have a nice turkey dinner.
Katlyn is doing great. Today her neutrophil count was up to 1100 and her lymphocytes were 100. That is the highest her neutrophils have ever been without assistance. We are very excited to see Katlyn making progress. This weekend we will be taking Katlyn outside, weather permitting. Tomorrow night there will be the parade of lights in Halifax and they just so happen to past right in front of the IWK, so we hope to take Katlyn to see it. She won't be able to stand on the side of the road with everyone else, because there are just too many people, but we are hoping that we can get a good view inside the parkade and no one will be around us.
I think Katlyn will absolutely love it. I will make sure to post some pictures of this weekend as soon as I get a chance.