Monday, May 26, 2014

Perfect Match

So I got confirmation today that Katlyn has a perfect 10 out of 10 match!! Also, we were told that it would be ideal if the donor was male, as females that have been pregnant, can lead to a higher risk for graft versus host disease, and Katlyn's donor is a 30-year-old male!! I also learned today that for Katlyn's conditioning we will use a reduced intensity protocol. This will mean that they will give Katlyn less chemotherapy but more immunosuppressant medication. We will do this in order to avoid unwanted toxicity, and it will decrease rejection to the lowest. I know that this means her chemo is still going to be awful for her, but not as bad as it could have been. We also have tentative dates and are just waiting on the donor to confirm. Katlyn's admission to hospital to start conditioning would be on July 9 and then her bone marrow transplant with be on July 18. I can going through a whirlwind of emotions right now, but I just want to get my little girl better. I am extremely grateful to this unknown donor. What an amazing human being. Our hero.